The Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission exists to connect diverse communities to the needs of the Navajo People by creating a safe environment where the values of education, culture, and spiritual formation are accessible to all people.
More than fifty years ago Lutheran Christian missionaries
arrived in Rock Point, AZ, a remote, isolated village near the Four Corners
area where Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah meet. They were leased 5
acres of land on which to build the Mission. The original goals stated on the
lease included starting a medical center, a mechanic shop, a radio station and
a Christian boarding school. The very first building on this land was a
combined church, clinic and two apartments built in early 1954.
Today Rock Point is a gas station and convenience store, a
Laundromat and post office, High School, a Chapter House and Senior Center –and
3000 people living on the land in family clans. Food and medical services are
still more than 50 miles away and general shopping 115 miles away in New
Mexico. The Mission campus provides a charter school site for K-6th grade for
70 children, a Private Christian Kindergarten, Health Clinic “Wellness Center”,
and an ELCA congregation, the House of Prayer.
The Navajo Lutheran Mission is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that depends on the benevolence of its donors. A nine member Board of Directors oversees the management of the Mission. In addition, the Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA)Grand Canyon Synod (GCS) nominates three individuals to represent the ELCA/GCS in Mission affairs. NLM is officially affiliated as a social ministry of the ELCA. Upon written request to the Executive Director a copy of our bi-annual audit will be made available to all donors. Our yearly tax returns can be found at the National Center for Charitable Statistics www.nccs.urban.org